Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 2- International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church

As our family prayed last night for converted Christians Hocine and Salem in Algeria, I wanted to remind (and introduce) my blog readers to the concept of praying for those that are risking their lives for their faith in Christ. Gathered in the loft of our home, I made a personal commitment to the Lord to pray for His bride: The Persecuted Church. My daughter, Katrina, made a copy of the 14 days of Prayer  issued by Voice of the Martyrs, so she can have her own personal copy to put on her bulletin board. The posted photocopied paper is a visual reminder she can reference to pray at other times than during our family time. My thirteen year old son, Jason and I, secured a map through Google images, located Algeria and did a quick lesson on Bible history and geography.

I could have easily prayed alone, but this prayer event is critical for my children to understand the times in which we live and develop a heart for other believers. The kingdom of God "suffereth violence" and I want the Lord to impress this burden on their hearts so that they are willing to continue to pray for them long after this fourteen day period is over.

It's easy to fall into the protective mode and not expose our children to these "horrible incidents". Yet children across the world are eye witnesses to persecution and some of them have experienced the brutalities of torture and intense physical and emotional pain.

There are some who read this blog and don't have any children. For you the mission is simple: share this information with another brother or sister in Christ and pray together. All of us need to be awakened to the sacrifices of these 21st century martyrs.  As a gentle reminder, please visit The International Day of Prayer website for further information and take a few minutes to  pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ.

Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; [and] them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.~Hebrews 13:3

Scripture Reference: And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. ~Matthew 11:12

2 comments:

  1. Praying with a tangible reminder, like the map , has always proven effective for me. Quite frankly, it jogs my memory. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda, thanks for your post. My son feels that God has called him to be a missionary...where but all places but Algeria. My heart as a mom is prayerful...my 6 year old daughter reminds me that he will have to go if God calls him or he will end up in the Belly of a whale like Jonah. Prayerfully, we follow our Lord and left our voices heavenward for those perscuted. Amen.

    ReplyDelete