Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

First Sunday ~ Do This in Remembrance of Me


I still cry on First Sundays. No matter how I  try to restrain the tears they still fall each time. At our church on the first Sunday of each month we celebrate The Lord's Supper.

Sitting as still as I can, I carefully hold the broken cracker and communion cup in my hands. My mind always takes me back to the days of my childhood. I can see the altar at the front of Bethel AME Church where I was allowed to kneel for The Lord's Supper. On first Sunday, the deaconess reverently draped the wooden altar with white linen. The ministers adorned in their white pastoral robes signified the holiness of this Sunday. My aunt, who played the organ, began her melody of hymns that reminded us about the precious shedding of Jesus' blood. 

As I knelt at that altar, I watched as Rev. Harrison served the bread of Christ to each child repeating, "This is His body broken for you. Take and eat in remembrance of Him." As he got closer to me, and those familiar words rung out,  I knew that he was placing a treasured item in my hand, the broken body of Jesus Christ. Mixed between the joyous singing of "Oh, the blood of Jesus", the pastor served the "wine". His words, "This is His blood, that was shed for you. Take, drink all of it, remembering that Christ died for your sins." were engraved in my heart.

As I rehearse those sweet memories and the scriptures which speak so clearly, I bow my head once again, asking God in prayer to forgive me of my sins. I take, eat and drink, remembering the horrific beating and sacrifice He made for me. So the tears still fall, as I exercise the power of remembrance and honor Him once again.

And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying,"This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood. ~Luke 22:19,20


1 comment:

  1. And so begins a journey...journey into joy, esteem, worth and well-being. It is also a journey into discipline, order and purposes. I'm looking forward to each entry, step and the overall adventure.

    ReplyDelete