Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Life as Ministry

Have you every felt guilty for not doing enough "ministry" or being "spiritual"? It's funny how we tend to segregate our lives into little neat compartments. When we read our Bibles, spend time having devotions, pray or go to church, those actions are neatly filed under the areas of "ministry and/or spiritual life".

A friend of mine, Dr. Dee, made this simple but yet profound statement, "Every aspect of life is ministry."

Not once did Jesus ever separate any aspect of his life into that which was spiritual versus non-spiritual. Walking along the road to Emmaus...that was ministry. Breaking bread with the disciples...that was ministry. Stopping to hear the cry of someone distressed or sick...that was ministry. He loved and cared for the people around Him, changing their lives by His touch and life giving words.  His entire life was poured out as a drink offering before The Father.

 It's important for us as the people of God to understand that every part of our lives is spiritual. The Apostle Paul literally begged us to get this understanding:

 I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.
    

Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].
~Romans 12:1-2 Amp.


And Colossians 3:17 instructs us ...And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. 

This amazing truth stopped by subtle fragmented thinking. No matter what I may do: caring for my children, loving and being attentive to my husband, washing clothes, praying or standing before a group teaching God's Word; it's all my spiritual act of worship and dedication to our beloved, Jesus Christ.

Profound...but true! All my life for Him!


8 comments:

  1. Amen, Wanda! Whenever I feel I need to go out there and accomplish something outstanding for Jesus, He tells me He wants to see me "out standing" in my kitchen, washing the dishes. I'm living my ministry.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wanda, for reminding me of this. I love the phrase "fragmented thinking." Isn't that just what the enemy wants us to do? He doesn't want us to think about who we are in Christ, but who we think we are before Christ. God's Word says, "The steadfast of mind Thou will keep in perfect peace because he trusts in Thee." Isaiah 26:3. I want to have a steadfast mind-not a fragmented one. Thank you for reminding me that my whole day is my reasonable act of service and worship if I will only see it from God's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful, gentle reminder to live our lives as an act of worship unto our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wanda!! God Bless you for those beautiful word of truth!! everyday our prayers is to be a Transparent Vessel for God Glory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanda, thank you so much for this post and your blog. I stumbled onto the blog through a mutual friend. What a blessing your blog is and I am thankful I found you. :) The reminder that all we do is ministry if it is unto the Lord is what I needed to hear! I may repost your article (giving you full credit with a link back to your blog, of course). Very inspiring. I am looking forward to reading more of your writings. You will be in my prayers. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like Jill, the words "fragmented thinking" jumped out at me and how many times I have semingly "despised the small things in my life" thinking that the larger things, or the activties the world recognizes is ministry. Thanks for reminding me who I am as a believer in constant service to God. I really appreciate thes devotions. cyber-hugs, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! "Every aspect of ministry is ministry and every aspect of life as a believer is ministry!"
    Thank you Wanda for utilizing my life/ministry principle.
    I am following the "journey of your pen" your powerful writings are blessing my life!

    "For Aslan & Narnia!"
    Dr. Dee Davis-White

    ReplyDelete